Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Made This.....a Tote

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. You know how life goes, and here life goes a lot with 5 kids.
Today I have a great I made this... it is a No Sew Tote. This was made for my youngest daughter who just started taking dance classes, and she needed something to carry her shoes in. As a bonus I TRIED (key word there) to make a tutorial for you. I really hope you enjoy it.
You are going to need two coordinating fabrics or bandannas.  I like using the bandannas because your top is already going to have seam.
Place bad sides together and fold in half.
Next cut through all the layers.  I did 3.5" in and 1" apart.
Start tying the layers together.  You will get the two from one side and the other two from the other side and tie them together.  When done go back through and make sure all the pieces are TIGHT. Then get random pieces and tie them together.

Here is what it looks like when all tied up.
 Now to add handles.  Get 46" of ribbon.  I used 1.5"  A roll of Witch Stitch or Heat Bond for Hems.
Start warming up your iron to the instructions of your No Sew Bond you are using.  I also recommend that you have an iron that you can use just for your crafts.
You are going to cut a strip of the Witch Stitch the size of your opening of the bag.
Cut 4 pieces (2 for each handle) of Witch Stitch the width of your ribbon.
Lay down your long strip right below the seam.  Then place your ribbon over that and about 1/4" below the Witch Stitch.  Now place your two small pieces on top of the ribbon.
Now lay the top layer of fabric over all of that and start ironing according to the directions.  I recommend that you use the end of the ironing board to help hold the bag.

Now flip it over and iron the other side.
Repeat for the other handle.
And here is the finished product.
I really hope you enjoyed this post.
If you make this please post pics on the Facebook page so we can see.
Thanks 
Chaun V.

2 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! Bet that's not the case when I try to do it. LOL
    Thanks for sharing! I love the fabric you used too!
    Gina
    www.facebook.com/faithfuldesigns

    ReplyDelete